Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Some inspirational social justice quotes

First, here is, i think, my all-time favorite social justice quote. it gives me a lot of incentive not only to be active on justice issues that relate directly to me, but also really encourages me to be a good ally for other people's causes too because, at the end of the day, i think there can be a lot more peace and justice in the world if we build coalitions and help each other out:


" Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." – MLK


Second, here is one that is significantly for me individually as a Muslim. I happen to derive a lot of inspiration for social justice from my religion, and this is one Islamic saying from the Prophet Muhammed that helps inspire me.


The Prophet Muhammed said, "None of you truly believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself." The brotherhood referenced is that of humanity.


Finally, a few more:


"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is revolutionary."- George Orwell


"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others."
- Mahatma Gandhi

"I am for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it is for or against. I am a human being, first and foremost, and as such I'm for whoever and whatever benefits humanity as a whole." - Malcolm X



Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I really like the quote by the Prophet Muhammed-if you really feel strongly about an issue, you want everyone to have exposure and access to it (be it health care, peace, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I would say to young people a number of things...I would say let them remember there is meaning beyond absurdity. Let them be sure that every little deed counts, that every word has power, and that we can, everyone do our share to redeem the world in spite of all absurdities and all the frustrations and all disappointments." Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel
    And, Five Books of Moses: Deuteronomy: "Justice, Justice thou shalt pursue"

    ReplyDelete